English
Menschen Wissenschaft Politik Mystery Kriminalfälle Spiritualität Verschwörungen Technologie Ufologie Natur Umfragen Unterhaltung
weitere Rubriken
PhilosophieTräumeOrteEsoterikLiteraturAstronomieHelpdeskGruppenGamingFilmeMusikClashVerbesserungenAllmysteryEnglish
Diskussions-Übersichten
BesuchtTeilgenommenAlleNeueGeschlossenLesenswertSchlüsselwörter
Schiebe oft benutzte Tabs in die Navigationsleiste (zurücksetzen).

Books and movies in English

32 Beiträge ▪ Schlüsselwörter: Englisch, Movie, English ▪ Abonnieren: Feed E-Mail

09.05.2020 um 07:03
@Dreisteine
Sounds good! Good luck with that and keep me updated!

Anzeige
melden

12.05.2020 um 12:02
@Luminita
Currently not comprehending what most conversations are about, I understand words here and there. I find it crazy how little I do understand becuase I can express myself and talk about anything I want easily it just doesnt make sense

melden

13.05.2020 um 17:20
@Dreisteine
Yeah, you seem to have a pretty good vocabulary from what I can tell just by reading your posts. Maybe you can try to figure out what it is that makes it hard to understand. Is it maybe the accent or the speed of talking? The topics (in some cases, you might just not know enough words about a certain topic) or something else? This might help bring you a bit closer to understanding the issue.

Did I get it right that you have no problem with talking yourself? Just understanding what other people are saying? Because usually, when you start a new language, it‘s the other way around.

1x zitiertmelden

14.05.2020 um 06:12
Zitat von LuminitaLuminita schrieb:Did I get it right that you have no problem with talking yourself? Just understanding what other people are saying? Because usually, when you start a new language, it‘s the other way around.
Well, I had a different experience. Most people tend to speak fast and not necessarily very clear when they speak in their native language. The learner must now, pretty fast, connect the sound he heard with the vocabulary he memorized in the distinct form. That usually only can be achieved by a lot of practice. When I read books or newspapers or anything in French or Spanish, for example, it is just like reading a German or English book. I understand everything and that pretty fast. I also can speak pretty well.

But when I sit in a subway car in Paris and next to me a couple of kids from the banlieues are chatting with each other, it is very difficult to follow their conversation. Even if you know the vocabulary, the brain needs to connect the sound to the right word. Example:

"Eygibmaher!" "Needasismains!"

The poor guy who studied German now must figure out that "Eygibmaher" actually is supposed to be "Ey, gieb mal her" and then realize that "ey" is not a real word at all, "mal" is the short form of einmal and so on. Then he has to translate "Needasismains" into "nein, das ist meines" and has to realize that "mains" does not at all mean "Mainz," the city, but "meines..."

This is quite a task for the brain, as can be seen by the fact that so many computers completely fail at providing real time translations.

Or, as the famous Israeli comedian and author Ephraim Kishon once bragged: To have a conversation with a Frenchman I learned how to say in perfect French: "Please answer me in English."

Only practice will help here. Listening to the same kids for 2 weeks will suddenly make you understand them. And, sometimes, even speak like them. :D

1x zitiertmelden

14.05.2020 um 19:50
Zitat von Rick_BlaineRick_Blaine schrieb:Well, I had a different experience. Most people tend to speak fast and not necessarily very clear when they speak in their native language. The learner must now, pretty fast, connect the sound he heard with the vocabulary he memorized in the distinct form. That usually only can be achieved by a lot of practice. When I read books or newspapers or anything in French or Spanish, for example, it is just like reading a German or English book. I understand everything and that pretty fast. I also can speak pretty well.
Okay, yeah, I get that, haven't experienced it though. I guess that's different for everyone.
Zitat von Rick_BlaineRick_Blaine schrieb:And, sometimes, even speak like them. :D
Copying the way someone speaks - I do it all the time. I don't even realize that I do it. ^^

melden

18.05.2020 um 15:16
@Luminita
Yes I have no problem at all talking myself I am basically fluent and when I talk to someone one on one I can comprehend most of what they say. The problem I have is trying to understand native speakers when they arent directly talking to me its very frustrating!

melden

17.10.2020 um 23:45
Last book(s):
Whyborne & Griffin series
C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (highly recommended, but do yourself a favour and avoid the German edition. It's outright abominable.)

melden

30.10.2020 um 20:30
Last movie: Borat. Very funny.

melden

31.01.2022 um 14:22
Without wanting to delve into the literary merits of their works and as far as contemporary authors are concerned, I am fond of John Boyne, John Connolly and Tan Twang Eng.

melden

02.03.2022 um 21:49
For all the true crime fans out there, I highly recommend American true crime writers (like e. g. Ann Rule). Their writing style is often quite clear, and and therefore not too 'elaborate' for non-native speakers of English.

Then there also exist a bunch of internet true crime YouTubers: I especially like Stephanie Harlowe and Kendall Rae. One can additionally run the English subtitles under their videos, so if you don't quite catch what they're saying, you can always check.

1x zitiertmelden

03.03.2022 um 10:02
Zitat von AggieAggie schrieb:Then there also exist a bunch of internet true crime YouTubers
JCS :)

melden

23.08.2022 um 12:33
My last book was: Complete German, grammar,Verbs,vocabulary.For my fiancee , she is US american.

And for me: Breeding the worlds largest living Arachnid, by Orin McMonigle, a book about Whip spiders.

Anzeige

melden

Neuen Beitrag verfassen
Dies ist eine Vorschau, mit den Buttons am Ende der Seite kannst du deinen Beitrag abschicken.
Bereits Mitglied?  
Schriftgröße:
Größe:
Dateien Hochladen
Vorschau
Bild oder Datei hochladen

Bleib auf dem Laufenden und erhalte neue Beiträge in dieser Diskussion per E-Mail.

Oder lad dir die Allmystery App um in Echtzeit zu neuen Beiträgen benachrichtigt zu werden:

Ähnliche Diskussionen
Themen
English: Smalltalk
English, 744 Beiträge, am 17.01.2024 von Yuliana
Charminbear am 21.01.2007, Seite: 1 2 3 4 ... 34 35 36 37
am 17.01.2024 »
English: Anglophone Music only
English, 38 Beiträge, am 21.04.2016 von Brandubh
Banana_Joe am 06.11.2014, Seite: 1 2
am 21.04.2016 »
English: What are you thinking about the poster above you?
English, 152 Beiträge, am 01.01.2024 von Luminita
kikuchi am 30.03.2006, Seite: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
am 01.01.2024 »
English: Prejudice against you
English, 4 Beiträge, am 24.01.2024 von Dr.T.
HereIAm12 am 05.03.2018
am 24.01.2024 »
von Dr.T.
English: My Englisch is not the yellow from the egg!
English, 4.183 Beiträge, am 22.03.2024 von Stirnsänger
Cardinal am 02.01.2013, Seite: 1 2 3 4 ... 206 207 208 209
am 22.03.2024 »